Friday, September 14, 2018

We're better when we're together


I was honored to be the guest speaker at our local high school's homecoming coronation today. At the suggestion of a few people who attended, here is my speech, without the self-deprecating remarks I made about pictures of Pat and me from high school, which are posted here for your enjoyment. For context, Pat is the head football coach - I'm so proud of his talent and leadership.

One of the things Coach Trewin has been talking with the football team this year is the notion of “we.” What that means, in short, is thinking of our contribution to something greater, rather than being focused on ourselves.

When we surrender the “I” to “we”, we can do anything, and we’re better when we’re together. That’s what it says on the back of the football team shirts, and I truly believe it’s a value that makes not only our football team, but our entire community, stronger, more connected and just better.

Think about it:

Mr. Rausch will tell you a single voice is lovely, but harmonizing adds depth to a song.

Ms. Cody will tell you a single violin is haunting, but orchestration makes it magical.

Mrs. Fox will tell you a person with an idea can be passionate, but with a group of people, passion is more quickly put into action.

Mrs. Nimrod will tell you that personal performance helps you attain goals, but being part of a team helps you celebrate them.

“We” brings out out our best by helping us contribute to something bigger than ourselves.

When we’re “we”, others have our back when we’re not at our best.
When we’re “we”, we celebrate differences and the gifts we all bring to the table.
When we’re “we”, we learn from each other.
When we’re “we”, we celebrate achieving goals, whether they’re big or small.
When we’re “we”, we’re not as alone as we can feel sometimes.

But the “I” has some responsibility when we’re “we.”

It means practicing and optimizing the fundamentals.
It means staying in our lane and not being trapped by jealousy or resentment toward someone who seems to have or be achieving more.
It means looking at failures at opportunities to learn and grow.
It means telling the voices in your head that are saying “I can’t, I shouldn’t, I won’t” to sit down and shut up.

It’s not easy. It involves some sacrifices.

Surrendering to the we requires us to admit some things about ourselves, and that can get uncomfortable in a hurry. Things like:

I struggle with self-doubt.
I’m under pressure.
I’m not worthy.
I’m not sure.
I don’t know.
I’m afraid.

Those statements are negative and they’re powerful. But here’s the thing: swap out “I” and replace it with “we” in any of the sentences I just named, and they lose their power. They completely shut down.

When we’re “we”, we’re more than our fears.
When we’re “we”, we’re more than our failures.

Friends, I have a great life, but I’ll tell you this - I have failed far more than I have succeeded, and it wasn’t just the bad hair choices in high school.

I have been so fortunate to have a spouse, a family, a tribe of friends and a community that has never given up on me, even on those days when I was completely ready to give up on myself.

That, friends - is the power of “we.” Tap into it.

Your service to others by surrendering to the “we” will be your greatest happiness and what you remember 30 years from now.

Today, “we” celebrate - we celebrate our teams, our school and our community.

Today is a great day to be a Viking!

Get out there and get after it - we believe in every single one of you.

Let’s go Vikes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment