Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A letter to my devastated friends

My lovelies,

I stayed off Facebook yesterday. The negativity of the election had taken its toll, and I just couldn't absorb any more. I voted more than two weeks ago, and by last night, I had had enough of the vitrol.

This morning, I woke to your devastation. To those of you who have had life journeys of contstantly needing to prove yourself, smile in the face of ignorance or outright hatred, look the other way when someone devalued you, tolerate a bully because he or she was in a position of authority, be cautious because of the color of your skin, or work twice as hard, three times as long to prove that you're just as good, I get that you're out of gas. I am, too. Change is hard, affecting it is harder, and the good fight needs to continue. Our efforts need to regroup, and we need to keep going.

You're tired. You're wondering if it matters. You're wondering if it's worth it.

Know this: You are loved, you matter and you are worthy of rights, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

My promise to you is I will continue standing by you, no matter who holds elected office at any level.

My promise is I will continue to witness your grief and your celebrations.

My promise is I will stand up for equality and stand against bigotry and hatred, even when it might be easier to look the other way.

I remember so clearly the night in college when I was up all night with a friend who told his parents he was gay. They told him to leave and never come back. Last year, his parents were dancing at his wedding.

I remember being told early in my career that women would not have fair opportunities to advance because of the family choices they make, and I would need to make peace with that. Today, I'm running my own business.

I remember feeling sickened by crowds cheering when it was suggested that people not like us should either not be let in, or they should be sent back. Last week, our friends' Peruvian son-in-law because a U.S. citizen, in time to vote in his first American election. Last night, a Muslim woman was elected to the Minnesota State Legislature.

Today, we're focused on losses. But we have had so many gains.

They will continue. We will make sure of it. Grieve today, but never give up.

With so much love,
KT


No comments:

Post a Comment